On the heels of announced the new iPad, Apple has also released iOS 5.1 for iOS-based devices (DL1504).
It’s a major update befitting the .1 release. Siri now supports the Japanese language. The Camera app has been improved – shortcuts as well as face detection, and for the iPad it’s been redesigned (probably to take advantage of the improved 5MP camera and 1080p capability).
Podcast functionality has been improved, as has battery life.
Updates in iOS 5.1
* Japanese language support for Siri (availability may be limited during initial rollout)
* Photos can now be deleted from Photo Stream
* Camera shortcut now always visible on Lock Screen for iPhone 4S, iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS and iPod touch (4th generation)
* Camera face detection now highlights all detected faces
* Redesigned Camera app for iPad
* Genius Mixes and Genius playlists for iTunes Match subscribers
* Audio for TV shows and movies on iPad optimized to sound louder and clearer
* Podcast controls for playback speed and a 30 second rewind for iPad
* Updated AT&T network indicator
* Addresses bugs affecting battery life
* Fixes an issue that occasionally caused audio to drop for outgoing calls
* iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S
* iPad, iPad 2
* iPod touch (3rd generation) and iPod touch (4th generation)