Developer: David A Knight
Type: GEDCOM-based Genealogy Application for iPod, iPhone, and iPad
Last Updated: Version 2.16.1 (August 27, 2010)
Purchase/ Cost: $3.99 USD, £2.39, €2.99 ($4.99 AU)
Link to App Store: GedView – David Knight
GedView is a viewer and recording tool for your genealogy database when you are out and about researching local records, or visiting locations such as graveyards looking for information. GedView acts as a way to quickly check up on family relationships, dates/locations of events, sources of information, and view your notes, or record newly found information while you are out researching. GedView is the only GEDCOM based genealogy application available for iPod, iPhone, and iPad that supports editing and utilises the full screen size of the iPad.
Mobile Genealogy’s Description:
Unlike iHeritage, this allows for utilizing and editing your existing GEDCOM genealogy files on the iPad in full-screen mode. Unlike some of the other genealogy applications available for iPhone/iPad/iPod touch, this does not require a specific Mac OS X application on the desktop/laptop side of things. It also allows you to keep all of your genealogy data/family trees on your iPhone/iPad/iPod. You can also import multiple GEDCOM files and maintain them in separate databases. New databases can be created on-the-go as well.
Platform: iPhone OS / iPad / iPod Touch
Software Requirements: iPhone OS 2.2.1 or above (OS 3.0 required for Mapping)
Hardware Requirements: iPhone, iPod touch, or iPad running OS 2.2.1 or above
GEDCOM Support: Yes
– Allows for editing, allows for multiple databases based on multiple GEDCOM files
– Import GEDCOM files from WiFi (Bonjour support), or through mobile connections (GPRS, EDGE, 3G)
– Allows for exporting as a GEDCOM file through a built-in web server.
– GEDCOM oriented, supports ASCII, ANSI, ANSEL, UTF-8, and UTF-16
– Offers full-screen use on the iPad
– Allows for multiple databases with multiple GEDCOM imports
– Configuration options available for you to configure the look of GedView to suit your needs.
– With iPhone OS 3.0 or above, mapping is enabled.
– New databases can be created
– Offers a passcode security lock
– Supports custom events
– Developer has tested on ~68MB GEDCOM files and 99,000 individuals
– Supports calling or emailing people from within when the information is present for the person, on an iPhone
Current Version: GedView 2.16.1 (August 27, 2010)
* GedView 2.16 (August 18, 2010)
* GedView Version 2.14.2 July 26, 2010 (new import options)
* GedView Version 2.14.1 June 29, 2010 (iOS 4 support, multitasking)
* GedView 2.14 June 5, 2010 (new import options)
* GedView 2.12 May 24, 2010
* GedView 2.10 April 21, 2010 (iPad support)
* GedView Version 2.10 April 21, 2010
* First released: Version 1.0 (May 8, 2009)
Other Useful Links:
– User Manual for GedView 2.10 (Adobe PDF)
– GedView Gallery at MobileGenealogy.com
This page last updated: August 27, 2010