Note: You may need to be a member of Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints – it uses their genealogy database and this app requires login credentials for New.FamilySearch.org
Note: It appears to no longer be in development.
Developer: AppTime, LLC (Official Site)
Type: Genealogy application for iPhone / iPod Touch
Last Updated: March 23, 2010 (Version 1.1)
There is a “Lite” version – MobileTree Lite 1.3
Family history enthusiasts, take the opportunity to sign-up now for MobileTree, an app which provides access to the content available from the genealogy-rich website: new.familysearch.org. (please be-aware that FamilySearch login credentials are required from the LDS or Mormon Church to use the app. Connect to the website: http://new.familysearch.org for accessibility requirements).
Mobile Genealogy’s Description:
This is basically a front-end for New.FamilySearch.org. It may not allow you to create new family trees or import GEDCOMs – from everything I’ve read, it adds information to the database on your iPhone or iPod Touch as you access it from New.FamilySearch.org. If you are not a Mormon and/or have an account through New.FamilySearch.org, this will be useless.
Software Requirements: iPhone OS 3.1 or Later
Hardware Requirements: iPhone and iPod touch
Languages Supported: English
GEDCOM Support: No (data is pulled from New.FamilySearch.org)
There is a “Lite” version:
– 2.5 out of 5 : iTunes Store (32 ratings)
Current Version: Version 1.1 (23 March 2010)
First released: 15 November 2009 (version 1.0)
Price Change: $4.99 to $9.99 (23 March 2010)
– Note: You may need to be a member of Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints – it uses their genealogy database and this app requires login credentials for New.FamilySearch.org
– While you can edit/add information, keep in mind that it’s similar to Ancestry.com Tree to Go in being a front-end to a genealogy website/database.
– Family Search certified
– Pictures can be added to profiles on the iPod Touch by syncing with the iTunes photo gallery
– Cannot see personal information for living individuals, cannot see LDS temple ordinance information for living individuals
– Can use touch screen controls to zoom in and out and pan left, right, up, down when in pedigree mode.
– Mapping functionality shows life events such as birth, marriage, death, and burial with various colored pins. The map can be resized (and does so automatically depending on the area covered).
– Offline Use:
– It will allow you access to information you’ve already viewed. You cannot search for new genealogy information without internet access (WiFi or 3G on the iPhone, Wifi on the iPod Touch)
– Allow for submitting information to New FamilySearch (Currently must go through New.FamilySearch.org)
– MobileTree Lite – $2.99 and has full functions of MobileTree without media functionality.
Other Useful Links:
– MobileTree Gallery – MobileGenealogy.com
– Tutorials – MobileTree.me